Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Utah Poverty out of Control

I know I'm going to offend people with this post, but to be honest I really couldn't care less, if you're offended maybe you should do something about it.

For the last couple of days it seems like there has been a constant stream of ads promoting Jiffy Lube and their efforts to support the Utah Food Bank. I'm not against the idea of a food bank, but there are a few things that really hack me off on this issue. It is a clever marketing gimic, so I'll give them that.

The ads keep saying that 1 in 10 people in Utah lives in poverty, and then insinuates that all of those people are on the verge of starving to death.

OK, first of all, poverty is living in a mud hut with nothing but a dirt floor and an old ratty blanket to sleep on. I've met people like this, and have yet to hear one of them bitching about not having enough to eat, even though they may have spent the day going through trash cans to find food. Haven't met any in Utah yet...

Second, according to the government, up until a year ago, my family and I were considered below the poverty line. Funny thing is that we lived really well. We didn't have cell phones or cable TV, but we had enough to eat and be comfortable, and my kids even had a really good christmas each year (Well, except for one year, but that was a good character building experience!!)

Third, as long as McDonalds is hiring (And they are... You don't have an excuse to whine about being poor) I've worked at McDonalds. I've also supported a family on a little more than minimum wage. It can be done!

I like the idea of a food bank or similar non-government run program that provides a safety net for people who run into unexpected problems, but that's all it should be - A safety net. A government run program that feeds those who feel they deserve or are entitled to welfare is a huge problem.

The final thing that bugged me is that pride is mentioned a few times in the ads as well. For some reason people think pride is a bad thing. My pride drives me to be a better person every day. It helps me get a better understanding of who I could be if I try. It makes me get my hands dirty and work. It prevents me from sulking at home, whining that I am a hard worker and I just can't get enough money to feed myself.

Cancel your damn cell phone, get your designed jean covered butt off your government supplied furniture and go get a job. It's really not that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment