Monday, February 25, 2008

The Subtle Knife

It was a pretty good weekend for me...

On the training side of things, I got a really nice long run in on Saturday, and then went out and purchased a new bike... I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing, but I'll spare you the details. If you're interested however, I have pics and more details on my other blog.

Saturday night, I finished reading The Subtle Knife, which is the second book in the "His Dark Materials" series by Philip Pullman. It's the one that follows The Golden Compass. It's an excellent read, although each time I read I'm faced with a challenge. Part of me wants to read and re-read each section until I fully grasp what the author is trying to convey, the other part of me wants to keep reading because the story line is so gripping. The parallels between our world and the one in the book are amazing and the devices that Mr. Pullman uses to illustrate his idea's are nothing short of genius. The second part of me is winning right now, but as soon as I finish the last book, I'll be starting over, and reading much more slowly and deliberately.

Finally, it appears that we're down to just a couple of patches of snow in the yard. It's raining currently, but I suspect that too will soon be over. I haven't been this excited for Spring and Summer in a long time. Not that I haven't enjoyed Winter, but the warmer months are just that much more fun.

2 comments:

  1. whereas I read Peter Carey's Theft - A Love Story.
    Glad you enjoyed SK, I hope you enjoy the last one, I found it a little bit of a let down after the first two - but still a pretty good story.
    Thanks for the Cuckoo hint too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem on the Cuckoo!

    I'm a couple of chapters into the Amber Spyglass... So far so good! I'm just enjoying the reading too, it been a few years since I really got into a book.

    ReplyDelete