Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sara Bareilles Concert - The Review

So, you might be asking.... Who is Sara Bareilles?

Sara Bareilles is an incredibly talented singer, piano player, song writer from Northern California. I'm not too enlightened about her history, but you could probably found out more about her from her Web Site.

Anyway, there is a DJ on the local radio station (KENZ-FM - 101.9 The End) called Parker who entertains me on the way home from work each day. He does an excellent job. One of his talents seems to be finding new artists. The following video (Click Here - Coz they won't let me embed it.) is actually from a show which I remember hearing as I drove home from work one day. It's Sara hearing Love Song on the radio for the first time.

OK, so with that introduction out the way, let me get to her concert...

Saturday night at the Velour Live Music Club in Provo. It was freakin' cold. We got there at about 6:30 and then found out that the concert didn't start at 7:30, that was when the doors opened. The one payoff was that we got with 2 rows of the front. Standing room only, and it was then that my wife decided she doesn't like concerts where you stand. I pulled rank though, so there we stayed!

At 8pm. Javier Dunn came on stage. He got a pretty good reception, and we just assumed he was local, and obviously a favorite of the crowd. It turns out he is actually the lead guitarist for Sara's Band. He played for about 45 minutes, and it was excellent. He was funny and an absolutely incredible guitar player. I'm trying to learn right now, so I really appreciate that side of things. I'll include a video of his from YouTube at the end of this post. It's not the best video, but it's not bad. We ended up buying one of his CD's as well after the show.

At 9pm Sara came on stage. My first thoughts were that she has no idea just how big she is. This isn't a bad thing. She looked genuinely grateful to have everyone there, and even looked a tad nervous for the first song or two. Her performance was excellent. She interacted well with the crowd, cracked a couple of good jokes and I think that about covers it. Well except for the fact that she is real and genuine, something most other stars seem to be lacking. My favorite part of the night was her telling the story behind Love Song. I mentioned it in my post yesterday, but it really got me thinking about my life, and how I let other people affect me. I appreciated her sharing it.

The only negative from the night is, that it would have been nice to meet her after the show, but I suspect that line might well have taken all night.

If she comes back to Utah again, we're committed to buying tickets. She made the comment that they don't normally headline shows, but I seriously think they could and at a much larger venue as well. Maybe next time we'll get to see her at The Depot. It's bigger but still small enough to be personal.

Excellent, Excellent show.

As a final note... When you sign up on her mailing list, you get to download Love Song - not only is she talented, but she's grateful for fans, something Britany and the other stars could do well to learn from, although, I'm not sure if they're even in the same league as Sara. She definitely has one up, if not more on Brit and the other Studio produced artists out there.

And here's the YouTube clip of Javier, as promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment