Saturday, January 02, 2010

Best Friend

Today's post concerns perhaps the best thing to happen to me so far in my life. And the beauty of it is that this thing continues to evolve over time, and for the better too!

I'm speaking of the amazing and wonderful Mrs Koda, who at this exact moment is kicking the butts of each of our 5 kids, doing some fancy Kung Fu routine of the Wii-Fit.

We met over 10 years ago as we were both serving LDS Missions in Africa. Timing resulted in us both ending within a week or two of each other, and since she was the only Sister Missionary I didn't manage to horrendously offend with my ill conceived and badly delivered comments, it seemed like we might have a good thing going. We have some fun stories from back that time, but I'll be here all day if I recount them all.

When our time was over, she returned to the United States and I, to New Zealand. Within a month I'd found a way to come over to the US, first of all to see if a romantic relationship could develop between us, and second to investigate attending BYU.

The BYU thing didn't work out so well, even being the most observant Mormon I could be at the time, I spent an hour on campus, and that was about all I needed to let me know that it wasn't the place for me. Fortunately things worked out better on the romantic front and we were married about 4 months after I came over here. It was a little quick, but due to visa restrictions, as well as being devout Mormons who could progress the physical relationship beyond much more than kissing, without serious consequences, it was important that it be taken care of sooner rather than later.

We've been through a great deal together, and times haven't always been perfect, but we've always managed to work things out and keep it going.

We're the parents of 5 kids, who are great, but we have also become ardent supporters of smaller families in the process!

She's been with me through multiple jobs, and finishing up my degree. More recently, when a typical Mormon wife would have threatened me and considered divorce due to my loss of faith, she confronted me one day and told me that she was with me no matter what, and it's been kind of a fun ride with her ever since on the religious front.

I definitely don't deserve her, but while we both have our own set of faults and weaknesses, we're perfect for each other.

She's my best friend, and I hope I am fortunate enough to spend the rest of my life with her by my side!

3 comments:

  1. this is an awesome article.

    when my stepfather was serving as a bishop it was a matter of course for him to advise people to leave their wife/husband when s/he left the lds church. it's something that clued me in early on to the fact that i should never hook up with a mormon chick.

    i would love to hear some of your joint mission stories. i take it you were stuck together and unable to touch each other for two years, and you were together for 4 full months but celibate after you both returned home. good heavens. that's horribly romantic.

    write your stories... if not for the lusers here, for your kids. they'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do need to do that!

    The "I'll leave you if you don't go back to church" thing, actually played out in a little criminal matter hear a couple of weeks back. Wife threatened husband, and then wife disappeared one night, while husband took boys on a camping trip at midnight... It was also about 0 degrees Farenheit at the time. The cops are still investigating this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I add that she makes a heck-of-a Sister-in-law, too!

    ReplyDelete