Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Walking the Walk

If you follow this blog, you know I'm pretty big on Equality, especially gay rights. I think it's a combination of knowing its the right thing to do, and perhaps a little attempt at trying to atone for past homophobic attitudes, while being a "Good Mormon".

Anyway, with all that said, I, like many others found the hate spewed forth from the pulpit at the LDS Conference this past weekend, especially vile and inappropriate.

I'm upset, angry and felt good about my efforts to help spread the word about it.

But... I think the time may have come for a new level of involvement.

On Thursday night this week, Pride in Utah are organizing a rally in Salt Lake City. I'm not sure what form it will take, but I feel the need to attend.

On one hand, it means leaving my family for an entire night, but on the other hand, I think it's time I walked the walk, and put my money where my mouth is.

Right is right.

Utah Protest Over Boyd K Packer Hate Speech

5 comments:

  1. Well said. I resigned over Prop-8 and continue to be deeply concerned by the church's entrenchment over this issue. To Have Boyd Packer make the statements he did during a conference that also stated that the words of the prophets are more valid than scripture, that one must follow the prophet always, and that the prophet has the right to interfere in civic issues is horrifying - and it outlines why I am still active and outspoken about mormonism and gay and lesbian rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so great that you participated! Can't wait to hear about how it went. Thanks for taking a stand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys!

    I need to pull together a post on the protest, but I've been dealing with some other stuff...

    Short version... 2 of my kids and I went down, and got to meet a few blogging friends too. Thanks Holly!!

    It was peaceful and my kids both had a good time, despite the cold and the sprinklers (which may or may not have been turned on as a result of the protest).

    The biggest impact on me... Seeing the interactions between members of the LGBT community, and feeling the deep love they all share.

    ReplyDelete