Monday, September 20, 2010

Insomnia

I'm not sure if it actually is insomnia, but I just couldn't sleep last night.

I think it may be related to excitement however.

It all began on Friday. A good friend sent me an email about a picnic for CALM - Community After Leaving Mormonism. I was so excited, I neglected to read most of the email.

Saturday came, and we got sandwiches made, potato chips and drinks purchased, and the entire tribe all loaded in the minivan for the journey down to the picnic.

It was then that I actually read the email, and realized it wasn't until Sunday, so the kids had a nice afternoon at a local park, and I'll be damned if I didn't thoroughly enjoy it. We need to do stuff like this more often, methinks!

So then came Sunday... Again we packed up and left, and found the park where the get together was happening.

There is no easy way to approach a group such as this... Especially when you're a little paranoid, and worried that the group may be a little paranoid too.

Actually, our intro went fairly well. I wondered over, mumbled something about hoping this was the right place, and before I knew it, we were surrounded by people with similar backgrounds.

Another couple arrived a little later, and it was funny to watch them try to figure out who we were and if they had the right place. They did, and they turned out to be an awesome couple, but it was still interesting to watch.

You're in Mormon Central, and I guess it just isn't natural to wonder over to a group and ask... "So are y'all the Ex-Mormons?"

An elderly lady showed up a little later as well. She had her scriptures and her Ensign (monthly Mormon publication), and did soooo not belong. I don't know if she knew the kind of group she was wondering around, but it provided those of us who did with a great amount of hilarity.

Anyway... The kids had a great time playing with the other kids there, and even our eldest son, who whined a little at the end, had to admit he enjoyed it.

For me, it was just great to spend time with people who have a similar background and outlook on life.

It wasn't negative in the least bit, just very, very positive and very affirming.

I've been needing to write an essay for submission to another group for a couple of weeks now... I kind of have the story in my head, but it just wasn't working.

I woke up around 4:30 this morning, and the story started to come together. I'm pretty excited about it, and will likely blog more about it on my other blog.

This is the second weekend in a row which has ended with a lack of sleep, but a feeling of exhilaration and accomplishment.

Last weekend it was a race with some great friends. It was all about accomplishment, inspiration and overcoming the impossible, and we finished third in our division!!!

This weekend it was similar but different. People who share a common history, and people who accept me for who I am.

I just like being myself.

No facades, no need to hide anything, just me, myself and I, interacting with real people who feel the same way.

Pure Awesomeness!!!

Next weekend may be a huge let down though... Unless I can arrange something... I've got a half marathon on Saturday morning. Perhaps we need to arrange a post-mo meet up on Sunday or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment