Tuesday, December 07, 2010

3 Neighbors

I've been a slacker getting my Christmas lights up this year. Mrs Koda likes Christmas, but she's not a big fan and me and Christmas lights together.

There is a peak on the front of our house which is about 20 feet up in the air. Combine that height with a husband who is terrified of heights, a rather springy ladder, and kids who like to pick the exact moment when he is at the top of the ladder, with eyes closed, praying to whatever deity he can not to fall down, to start fights, or fall down and injure themselves... And I can't say I blame her.

So needless to say, until Sunday, our lights were not up.

But the weather was reasonably good, and I was feeling festive, and so I decided to have a go at some of the lights.

I didn't get the peak lit up, but as I was atop the ladder on another section of roof, Church let out.

Oh - did I mention I didn't go? It's been over 6 months since I've been. And I really don't miss it.

Once Church is over, members descend on a neighbors house for choir practice. I was out as this was happening.

A couple of neighbors walked by, and it was fun to see their reactions.

First neighbor came by on our side of the street. Looked over at me and remarked... "You look like you're having fun!". It's his usual catch phrase. He seems like a great guy. His wife is the Relief Society President, and she reminds me too much of my mother, but he seems like a good guy.

His brother stayed with them for a while, when we first moved in. He was the only neighbor to come over and help during the move - the brother that is. And when our yard flooded, he came running over to help my distraught wife figure out how to shut the water off.

He doesn't look like a good Mormon. Long straggly hair and ear rings. And the nicest guy you could hope to meet.

The wife of our neighbor has since apologized for him. WHAT?!?

Anyway, so that was person number 1. Good reaction, humorous, and not too bad.

Next came the single mom from up the street. I used to teach her daughter in Sunday School.

You know how you can just tell when someone is trying not to look at you?

That was her... Looking incredibly uncomfortable and looking everywhere but at me.

She passed by on the other side.

The came a lady I should know, but not having been at Church for 6 months, I don't. It may have been the wife of the douche bag who used the commitment pattern on me, to try and get me to go home teaching with him, but I could be wrong.

She passed by on the other side as well, but she wasn't looking away.

On the contrary, she was glaring right at me, and when I stared back, she glared even harder.

People are just interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment