Wednesday, July 07, 2010

I only wish I was kidding...

Consider this quote:


The ethic of conservation is the explicit abnegation of man's dominion over the Earth. The lower species are here for our use. God said so: Go forth, be fruitful, multiply, and rape the planet -- it's yours. That's our job: drilling, mining and stripping. Sweaters are the anti-Biblical view. Big gas-guzzling cars with phones and CD players and wet bars -- that's the Biblical view.


OK, let's play a game... Who do you think came up with that quote, and were they serious?

Is it...

A) A completely serious conservative Christian who genuinely believes it.

B) A misquoted conservative Christian (CC), or CC who said it by mistake.

C) A liberal blogging fiend poking fun at CC's.

D) None of the above.

Actually folks, that quote comes from the same person who is responsible for my not listening to the Sean Hannity show for many years now. I used to like his show, but I turned it on one day, and some woman was going on and on about the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and how it was allegiance to that God that demanded that we eradicate Islam, or something like that... And then Mr. Hannity agreed.

Ann Coulter, conservative columnist and apparently someone who believes God put us here on the earth to rape it. Ummm has the definition of rape changed?

Anyway, this is my less serious blog, so let me direct you to the source of my discovering that quote... Because it is totally real - see here.

The source is somewhat funny, although at the same time it's kinda sad.

Tea Party Jesus
The words of Christians in the mouth of Christ


Oh, and in case you were wondering... The answer was A... And it's in print, which means it was deliberate and made it through editing.

5 comments:

  1. Dude! That was totally the mindset of many of the Utah Mormon folk I grew up with in my younger years. (early 80's)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, a person of my relation stood up before the congregation during the late 80's / early 90's and proclaimed that as long as there was open space on the earth, the members needs to keep spitting out children.

    Ever read Asterisk comics as a kid?

    If so, this may mean something more...

    THESE MORMONS ARE CRAZY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good God... or, aparently not-so-good, it seems. Ann Coulter is an abomination to my sex. The venom that spews from that woman's mouth is unbelievable. If she were a dog, I would put her down. Wait, can I put something on the November ballot to put her down anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a firm believer that you have to having opposing view points, but I think she takes things way to far. I'm still blown away by the idea that a God would put people on this earth to "Rape it". The problem is... My mentioning it here, or putting something on the ballot all probably just add fuel to her fire.

    Sometimes you just wish people would vanish quietly into the abyss, and that people would actually think about the crap that this people like to spew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognized the Ann Coulter quote right away. I do question her sincerity in many of the things she says -- she seems to have settled into a niche of saying deliberately outrageous things for shock value.

    But, of course, if one truly accepts "the Biblical view", why not? If one truly believes that the Earth was made for man's use, and only needs to last a few thousand years, most of which have already gone by anyway, because Jesus is coming back soon to magically pouff us all into a better world, then why bother about keeping the Earth habitable?

    Which is part of why that world-view is dangerous.

    ReplyDelete