Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Weeding out the Bigots

Every so often I'll post something a little controversial on Facebook. It's amazing how much you can learn when you do stuff like that though...

Tonight's offering was this...

Please put this on your status if you or someone you know is gay. My wish for 2010 is that people will understand that being gay is not a disease. People who are gay are not looking for a cure, they are looking for ACCEPTANCE and EQUAL RIGHTS. 93% won't Copy and Paste this. Will you make this your status for at least one hour?

I got it from a friends status, and the coolest thing was... Shortly after I hit the like button and posted in on my status, I got a notification on his...

Short note from his son...

Thanks Dad.

I felt a tear well up...

The sad thing is that I used to be just as much of a bigot as some of the folks who appear to have taken offense to it - interestingly enough everyone of them loathes the the sitting president, and they'll all swear it's not because he's black too.

I think I need to be more selective with who I accept onto my friends list, and I' wondering if perhaps it's time for a purge.

8 comments:

  1. Purge away, some things are just deal breakers and I'm afraid bigotry is one of them. Deliberate cruelty is another.
    (PS, I teared up too, but I'm a mess)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pressing the "like" button on this post.

    I used to hate it but now I like it when I get "unfriend" for things like that.

    And yes, purging is good once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, I was hoping for a couple of Unfriends, but it doesn't appear like I got any this go round... Probably purged them all out with my last Pro-Obama status update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things that I continue to not understand about organized religion and one of the many things that keeps me from worshipping any kind of deity, is the firm belief that any group that actively promotes inequality of rights, bigotry, and lack of compassion for people different from them, cannot possibly be "good". If there is a hell and a heaven, and I'm not sure I believe in either, I think that those who are kind and compassionate to others, regardless of their beliefs, will receive the warmest welcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A-freakin-men!!

    I thought it funny that someone would disagree with me, and yet make my point at the same time.

    I've also noticed that the defense for being a bigot seems to be to play the victim card...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just don't understand how many people who make such high moral claims due to their religious beliefs can be so narrow-minded and intolerant. It boggles the mind, and it saddens the heart. I say, unfriend away as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes what made it hard was that some of those people "un-friending" me were relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whats up dude

    It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!

    ReplyDelete