Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Question for you...

This question came to mind last week during a discussion with one of my readers. I've been thinking about it a lot ever since. I suspect there may be numerous answers and a couple different ways of viewing it, depending on who you are.

The question is...

America's Golden Age - When was it?

In asking the question, I'm not ruling out the possibility either that it may not yet have happened either.

If you have a few minutes and have an opinion you would like to share, I'd appreciate you sharing. Define when you think it occurred or will occur, and what key elements you think might define it.

I don't think there is a wrong answer.

Please leave a comment, or if you would prefer to answer it by email, send your answers to goldenagequestion@urbankoda.com. Please also let me know if you have any reservations with my publishing your answer on this blog.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Lukács's theory of totality, which was identical in many ways to Gramsci's ideas on absolute historicism.

    One age melts into another. Any golden age had its roots ultimately in prehistory, and the enlightened eras always began in the ideals of their predecessors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I promised to get back to you on this, but my work keeps getting in the way of my blog commenting.

    In short, I'm not sure one can define an exact range for America's golden years. I think it'll be more of a triangulation based on prominent issues and events. I want to be able to give you a thoughtful answer, though, so I'll have to wait until I get some free time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem D. Sirmize - I know all too well how that goes!

    I think the thoughts I've had as too when or what the Golden Age might be, are kind of in line with some of Gregoire's comments (I think - since they are going to need some more reading on my part).

    It would almost seem to me that a Golden Age would be more of an idea than an actual time period - If that makes any sense...

    Looks like I need to find some time to gather my thoughts and somehow articulate them as well.

    ReplyDelete