Tuesday, September 07, 2010

New Ideas

We just got done with a long weekend, which seemed even longer due to our activities over the weekend...

For about 5 years now, I've had a side business developing software as a freelancer. It was fun to begin with, since I was a tech support guy, but now I work as a web developer, and doing that all day, and then developing all night as well... Not so much fun anymore.

Plus, Mrs Koda and the remainder of our wee tribe can't exactly help with that.

So, back in April or so, we purchased a vinyl cutter. The business has had a slow start, mostly just making stuff for Mrs Koda to decorate with and doing freebies for friends, but recently I lucked out, and scored a sweet gig, which flowed into another gig, and resulted in us spending the entire past 4 days, up to our eyeballs in vinyl!

It was cool because the Mrs and I got to spend time together and on Sunday, even the kids got involved and did a little work to help out.

Anyway... Out of that came some different thoughts and ideas.

  • While the doing freebies for friends, may not make business sense, either karma, advertising or something else has really kicked in, and so we're going to keep doing it! So if any of y'all want vinyl decals, let me know!!! Within reason of course!


  • Coffee is awesome!! I usually consume a fair amount of caffeine in a day, but it's usually the cold and/or fizzy kind. I got a grande cup of Kona coffee from our local donut place on Friday. Mmmmmm. I went back on Saturday Morning and got a Grande of Highlander Grog - Even more MMMMMMMMMMMM! I skipped Sunday because... Well you don't go shopping on Sunday... Mwhahahahaha! Actually I don't know why I skipped it... But then Monday morning I woke up with a headache - which I think ended up being sinus related, but it was a good enough excuse to go and grab another. I think it may be time to purchase a coffee maker!


  • While discussing coffee with the Mrs... Who doesn't like the taste, like 80% of my kids... We listened to a whole bunch of Mormon Expression podcasts. We're thinking about doing something once a month for folks in Northern Davis county - unless anyone knows if there is one already... I've joked about starting my own Church, and this is kind of an extension of that idea... Get a group together in our home on a Sunday morning, have coffee, hot chocolate, tea and perhaps some snacks, and then do some mingling, and then perhaps discuss a topic related to religion, society, science or something else.


And while all of that was going on, I was running down into my basement to check on the computer, the cutter and our supply levels, and I got an email from a race I'm doing next weekend. It's a relay race in Southern Utah, and it's the second year they're doing it. I'm STOKED about doing it again this year, and am ready to sign up for next year already...

But in one of their update emails, they mentioned doing another relay race, this time out in Moab.

I kind of have a standard crew I do the Southern Utah one with, but I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in being part of a team for the Moab one. I know I have at least one runner amongst my readers - although she's out of state...

Anyway, if you're interested in being part of an Ex-mo, heretical type apostate running team, let me know - and we don't have to advertise the fact that we're ex-mo if that concerns you!

The reason I though about this, was that last year, I ended up on a team with people I didn't know. I had a great experience and gained some lifelong friends, but... Within a half hour of getting together, one of the guys comes over to one of the girls and says with great relief... "It's OK, we're all members in this van!" I think he determined my membership status when he found out I was a missionary.

I didn't have the heart to break the news to him, that I was likely a faithful Mormon's worst nightmare...

Anyway, so that was my weekend...

Oh, and... Mrs Koda and I talked about planning a two to three year extended vacation in New Zealand or Australia... I'll discuss that one more tomorrow though I think.

3 comments:

  1. 1. What the heck are you doing with vinyl?? Please explain. I feel like I should hit you for a decal, but I have no idea what we're talking about here.

    2. I'm joining your new church.

    3. I'm coming with you on your Aussie/NZ sabbatical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally interested in joining the exmo heretical type apostate running team! Can I walk, though? It's hard to run with a glass of wine in one's hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - I kinda lost track of this thread...

    @e

    1. I'm still in the process of pulling my site together, but you can check out some of my stuff here -> http://trimoko.com/RRR.htm

    It also works on walls, and various items of home decor. Mrs. Koda spent the weekend making Halloween stuff - I'll have to post some pictures!

    2. My Church has only one problem... I don't want it to be my church, but I fear without some form of leadership it would fail. Perhaps simply forming some kind of social group would be better, and you would always be welcome!!

    3. SWEET!! The more the merrier!

    @Sister Secret - Of course! I'm reminded of something from my youth... Don't drink and drive, you might spill and waste good booze. I suspect the same may be true for running!

    ReplyDelete