Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gay Marriage

As promised, albeit late here is the posting on Gay Marriage.

I used to be very against gay marriage. I used to think some pretty low things of any one with homosexual leanings. I owe the whole community an apology.

I'm not sure why I felt that way, but the feeling went pretty deep and was significant.

I think the change happened a year or two back, while talking to an excellent friend of mine. He asked me what I was scared of.

That's an interesting question. If you've been reading this blog from the beginning, you'll know my feelings on fear and how overused and abused it is in our society. On the subject of Gay Marriage I have heard the following arguments...

It will destroy the traditional family

It diminishes the sanctity of marriage

It's a sin

OK, first off, how are two people committing to live together going to destroy my family? This is almost a non-argument. They love each other, respect each other and are committed to work together to achieve something better than either could achieve on their own. When you think about it, doesn't America need more people who are willing to make these kinds of decisions.

The sanctity of marriage.... Hmmmm. Britney Spears likes being in the spotlight so lets look at her. She had a 'traditional' marriage, and I'm not sure there was too much sanctity in that one - Actually isn't this marriage #2 for her? Liz Taylor, Pamela Anderson and the list could go on for weeks. How an earth can you claim that our society believes in any kind of sanctity of marriage when this is going on, and don't even get me started on the divorce rate in traditional marriages.

It's a sin! Do you know what I think is worse... Raising kids who are self-righteous bigots. Who determines what is a sin and what isn't. Sure I may not choose to live a homosexual lifestyle, but that doesn't make it a sin.

So before I launch to much further into my tirade, let me summarize my feelings thought and beliefs on Gay Marriage. I think it's a good and fair thing. If two consenting adults want to commit to live together and take care of one another, by all means let them get married. Let them have access to all the benefits of medical insurance of a spouse, tax advantages and everything else. It's the right thing to do, it's fair and I think it would make the world a better place.

Please feel free to disagree, just make sure you back it up with some solid reasons why.

1 comment: