Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What is a conservative?

I ripped on Glenn Beck a few weeks ago. Today he gave the following definition on his radio show...

To be a conservative is, in my definition, is somebody that believes in the power of the individual, somebody that believes, please let me make my decisions, that I have a right to succeed and not be penalized for it. I have a right to fail and have no one run to me if I don't want them to run to me. A conservative believes I have a right to manage my family, I have a right to discipline my family in the way I see fit, as long as it is not criminal. A conservative believes I have the right to worship God, I have a right to worship the God of my understanding, and I do not have the right to jam my version of God down anybody else's throat or my version of no God down anybody's throat. A conservative believes live and let live. That's what a conservative believes. A conservative believes in the smallest amount of government, the smallest government you can get without anarchy. That's what a conservative believes.

I'm not sure if he actually believes that, or if there is a mainstream political party that sticks to that definition either - There is the libertarian party... But I have to give him credit for an excellent definition.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Napa will definitely get pretty hot by July, but for some reason I don't find it unbearable.

    ReplyDelete